HUMAN TRAFFICKING PROJECT: First Notes and Interview
This year the Super Bowl will be held at the MetLife Stadium in Rutherford, NJ. How will increased efforts to advocate/act against NY/NJ's Human Trafficking landscape combat the overwhelming spike in traffic? What are the major obstacles? What have been recent successes? What needs aren't being met?
I've recently interviewed a project director at an anti-trafficking organization that is working to educated businesses in the area. Here is some of what I've learned:
- Thousands of women will be brought in from other states like Ohio and West Virginia.
- The anti-trafficking spectrum spans many different organizations which don't always communicate, cooperate and share resources as effectively as possible.
- The community usually identifies as either Activist or Advocate. Some Activists see themselves as Abolitionists
- During sporting event spikes, attention toward sex traffic overshadows labor trafficking.
- Hotel managers and owners who ARE reachable, are generally receptive for training (on how to spot and prevent) and placement of information in their franchizes. This is encouraging.
- A "Shaming Patrons" video campaign in Florida had been unsuccessful as a strategy.
I currently have no clear plan for what I would build to assist in this effort. My first thoughts went to Ushahidi. As is common this semester, my ideas are informed by the overlap of my class choices. So my head is in a Networked, Collaborative space.
Some of my other initial questions:
What Industries does this touch?
- Strip Club
- Karaoke Club
- Night Club
- Liquor Store/Bodega?
- Truck Stops/Rest Areas (Hunt's Point)
- Who should I stay away from?
- What's the most under the radar element to consider?
- Who benefits? (Follow the money)
- What person or Org has made the most progress since 1998?
- What is the trafficking landscape before the Super Bowl?
- How many volunteers?
- Who benefits from HT during big events?
- What is the strategy to disrupt that?
- Will you target Hotels/Motels Primarily?
- What is off-limits b/c of safety to your volunteers OR political/applied pressure?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwrJ6mEM3M1nZDM1ZDAyNDAtNzk0NS00YzZjLTg1NTYtMjUyYjE0ZGRlNzkz/edit Gender, Image…Anti-traffic Campaigns
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwrJ6mEM3M1nMjJhMTlhNjItM2I3ZC00NjIxLWJmZDItZWYxNDg1Yzc3NzQw/edit (Link btwn military and sex traffic)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwrJ6mEM3M1nNjFjYjk5NzctMDQxNi00OWVlLTlmYWItN2U5YTJhMmE3YzE2/edit - GAO Better Data
SUPER BOWL 2014:
http://preventhumantrafficking.org/ (ITP Alumna)